Organisations committed to enhancing occupant health and wellbeing have been celebrated by the Center for Active Design (CfAD) at its annual Fitwel Best in Building Health Awards.
This year’s winners were identified based on Fitwel’s 2020 project data, which captured a year marked by unprecedented challenges due to the global pandemic, which was met with impressive agility and responsiveness by leaders of the global real estate industry.
Two organisations were selected by CfAD for special recognition after demonstrating their exceptional leadership in meeting the challenges of COVID-19.
- Industry Thought Leadership: Fitwel’s Viral Response Academic Advisory Group. The team of 12 health experts from leading institutions were recognised for their collaborative efforts to rapidly analyse scientic research and advise on the creation of Fitwel’s Viral Response module.
- Industry-Leading Company: BentallGreenOak (BGO). The company was recognised for its leadership in applying Fitwel at scale, including the rapid rollout of the Viral Response module. Within three months of its release, BGO received Fitwel Viral Response certification for its entity-level policies and obtained Viral Response Approval for 17 properties across nine cities.
Three organisations were bestowed with ‘All-Time Achievement’ Awards recognising standout Fitwel achievements since the certification was launched in 2017.
- Fitwel Excellence Award for most certifications: Kilroy Realty Corporation.
- Fitwel Promise Award for most registrations: Wells Fargo.
- Fitwel Impact Award for the highest scoring project: Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc., with Alexandria LaunchLabs® at the Alexandria Center.
This year’s full list of winners reflects growing geographic diversity—including projects from China, Australia and Brazil—confirming the rapid expansion of Fitwel’s global reach.
Joanna Frank, president and CEO of CfAD, commented: “This year’s awards reflect the significant growth of Fitwel as our new and existing global users make progress implementing health-promoting strategies to meet the unique challenges of the moment. We are entering a new era, one where health is a defining factor in real estate investment decisions. The rising use of Fitwel is creating more detailed and sophisticated property-specific data sets that our users can leverage to respond to shifting demands and remain at the forefront of the healthy building movement.”
Fitwel is a rigorous, third-party healthy building certification system operated by CfAD that sets the industry standard for evidence-based strategies to promote positive health outcomes for occupants and communities.
For more content on the Fitwel healthy building movement, click here.
Work in Mind is a content platform designed to give a voice to thinkers, businesses, journalists and regulatory bodies in the field of healthy buildings.